Friday, September 4, 2015

3D Modeling - Week 2: UV Mapping and ZBrush

New notches for my belt! This was a challenging assignment for me being completely new to these skills, but looking back, I really did learn a lot.

The second assignment was to take the model from assignment 1 and create a UV map as well as bringing the model into Zbrush to sculpt.

I will cover each of these assignments separately.

Part 1: UV Mapping
This part of the assignment was VERY difficult for me. I have never UV mapped before and it took many lessons and the kindness of my peers to help me understand why the UV split tool will just not split. It took me four days to completely get the UV mapping to where I was happy with them and understood where and how they need to be placed.

My frustration never rested with the concept of UV mapping, meaning, WHY we needed to UV map. To me, that could not be anymore clear.

Most of my frustrations came about because of my newness to UV mapping. I am confident that when, not if, I UV map again, I will be highly more effective at generating the mapping. 

Here are the fruits of my way-too-long labor:





I am not sure if I am happy with it, but it was the best attempt I could do and the best I could ask of myself.

Part 2: Digital Sculpting
This. This, this, this. THIS was a LOT of fun! After all those frustrating moments of UV mapping finally paid off when I was able to move onto Zbrush.

To reiterate, this is the first time I've ever seen Zbrush. Before coming, I had heard of Zbrush in whispers and in dark corners of the nether, but unsurprisingly, it really does exist!

Much to my pleasant surprise too, it's very fun! I'm not too great at sculpting yet, however just playing around with the brushes and figuring out the tablet pressure sensitivity was amazingly fun. I was taught great quick techniques to get a rusted or old feeling to apply to the canon which I felt was appropriate in the look I wanted anyway.

Here are my results: 




I went on Google and found a texture I thought fit the canon metal fairly well. Then, to add some diversity, I used a Zbrush preset brush for the sides and the ground. I added some dings and dents by hand to complete the look.

Not too bad I feel for my first attempt ever to get used to the tools and to begin to familiarize myself in this robust software.

No comments:

Post a Comment