Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Common Art: Week 2

This next homework assignment was a group effort to redesign a popular Nintendo character.

The instructions were clear. In my group of 3, we have one artist create a silhouette, gray scale and color scale of the main character, another artist creates the model sheet for the main character, and the final person creates a new environment for the character.

I decided to choose the environment portrayal since this is an aspect of art and design I feel my interests lie.

Group Collaboration
My group began our character design by choosing the popular Nintendo character: Yoshi.


After viewing 20+ different silhouettes by Teammate 1, the three of us decided on a short but burly  version of Yoshi. 

Teammate 2 finished a proper model sheet of our version of Yoshi, portraying him as a bad koopa gone good. 

We really enjoyed the twist of having a darker, noir style for Mario and giving Yoshi more of a backstory than just loyal steed.

This gave me an idea of a run-down mushroom kingdom. Trash, paper and baddies swarm the area and everything has a dark hue associated with it.

My final result came out rather cartoony, but I tried to implement a rougher, sketchier environment with thick lines and clues to other Mario games.


No comments:

Post a Comment