Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Drawing Fundamentals

What does the title mean?

Simply, we are introduced to new drawing tools and learn new techniques to apply to our art. We literally draw with these tools and apply techniques we learned in times exercises.

The most important new tool - tan paper. I have never drawn on tan paper before, but it creates an excellent medium with all the new tools and softens the colors to make the darks seem darker and the lights lighter. I am not used to working in such a mid-range tone, but so far it does create a really interesting and notable effect with the actual tools when I am coloring.

First of the new tools I am learning are water-based colored pencils. I wish I had known about these sooner! They create such a lovely blend of color and value with little effort besides making sure you don't soak the paper. They are extremely fun.

They are paired with another new tool called the water brush/pen. It looks like a plastic ink pen, but its filled with water instead. The tip is a very fine brush that pulls the colors from the darkest range to the lightest in a nice gradient. I will definitely be trying to use these tools more often.

The white gel pen. Not a big deal? Wrong. The white gel pen absolutely knows how to make your drawings pop. Placed correctly with your inked outline, it can really make any line pop and draw the viewers eye. It does take a bit to master where and when is the best use for the gel pen.

Micropens .05 and .02 are easily my favorite. I've been wanting to switch to drawing in pens only, but I still am not confident in my anatomy and drawings enough to switch over completely. The pens are so fluid and lay very well across the paper.

Our next assignment consists of drawing three different types of drawings and using perspective and light. It will be interesting to see how I can use value to apply these affects.

No comments:

Post a Comment