Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Drawing Fundamentals: Week 2 & 3 -- Design and Perspective

Catching up on the last two weeks of my drawing fundamentals art class.

Week 2: Design Concepts
Our first assignment was to judge how we fared drawing designs in the categories of character, weaponry and architecture. The teacher provided images for the weapon, character and building. They are not creations of my own.

I really enjoyed this assignment and drawing all three! My best in my opinion is the character design, and my weakest was the building. Identifying my weakness lets me know where I need to focus more on. Actually, week 2 helped me practice buildings and perspective.

Week 1 Results


Week 3: Perspective
This assignment was intimidating if anything! I was really nervous to make sure all the lines were straight and how to get in color and details with such fine pen details in my drawings. I wanted to challenge myself by drawing intricate architecture, which I am not sure if that was a great idea or not. While finding churches and beautiful old architecture for these churches, it may look like I did not take too much perspective into account, but each tile and brick I laid out as well.

Week 3 Results


Week 2 & 3 Identified Problems and Solutions
1. Keeping my lines straight
I learned with the first Week 2 assignment that I need to use my ruler and use it well. During class we learned to quickly lay out perspective, but we weren't given too much time to flush them out. Drawing these so they looked nice and straight took a lot of my time and gradually I got better at it. My process became: Sketch, Ink, Color, Shade, Light.
2. Color
I will admit using and identifying color is one of my least developed skills. All of my teachers have been great in encouraging the use of color, even if it might look weird. I found that my love for the new water color pencils still needs work to master, but I keep trying to use them! I also got a LOT of inspiration from my classmates! A few of them use color very very well and it makes the image look great. I decided to make use of all three primary colors and even tried to blend them in the 3 point perspective. Attempting blending with these colors will be my next try going forward.
3. Getting over critique!
This is still something that just makes my heart POUND. Each week we walk around and view everyone's work. Even though these are practice sketches to get us used to drawing again, I still get very nervous about not being good or not having something good to show in class. However, if you noticed, I contradicted myself from my last problem and this nervousness! Despite me being nervous, I am learning by watching and learning from my peers and taking what I like from their drawings and applying them to mine. So, while I need to learn to stop being nervous, it has helped increased my own art.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment