Wednesday, October 7, 2015

RPP2: Rapid Proto-type Production - Robo444

This is our second RPP. What is an RPP? It is Rapid Proto-type Production. We get assigned into groups of 4 or 5 students and we build a proto-type game in two weeks! Its a lot of hard work and it really pushes everyone's skills and creative juices in a good way. Typically the groups consist of a producer, two programmers and two artists. I was the only artist this round with two programmers and two producers, so much of the look and feel of the game was up to me.

I was proud of this round and wanted to post some of my art and concept art from the project. I was able to use a lot of what I've learned so far in my drawing classes to make sure everything flowed easy.

Our game was called Robo444 and the theme of the game was narrative. We ultimately came up with an idea about a robot who gets short-circuited from a hive-mind mentality and learns to discover himself off the network.

One of the things we learned from our drawing class was to first come up with character silhouettes. These were a few designs that I created. From this silhouettes below, number 11 was picked as the winner from the team.


Once the silhouette was created, I drew out a color version of the character. Later, all the blue turned to red to make the robot more evil looking since the robots in the story were capturing and destroying mankind.





After the concept sketches were approved and well-received by the team, I went ahead and created a model and UVs for the character.



I did sculpt the model a bit, but ultimately that version wasn't used for various reasons.


This was all the color I placed on the robot. The red stripe going across it's flank and the red eye and yellow flashlight.

I also modeled and textured a variety of assets including:

- Broken CD
- Cigarette Box
- Ripped Concert Tickets
- Newspaper (Where I used Alpha to make the edges wavy)
- Radio
- Saxophone
- Soda Can
- Street Sign
- Trash Can

I also modeled a variety of repeatable textures for our subway scene.

The first four are different cement floor textures.




The next set is a series of walls to use in our subway. These are all repeatable and I looked up references of real subways to get an idea for the decoration and design.






After this, our game was a narrative and we decided to use cutscenes to tell major parts of the story. In total, I did 9 of these scenes.  

The opening consisted of these three shots in order: 


I am particularly proud of this scene since I applied composition to these shots according to what I learned in drawing class.



The middle three sequences were "memory" sequences, once again in the order they appeared in the game:




And lastly, here are the final three sequences in order:




After I finished the important scenes, I worked on the logo and some other graphical design assets to use for our game.





Overall this was a fantastic game to work on. The game turned out really well I believe and my team really worked as a team the later it got in the project. Everything was finished comfortably and no one felt extremely rushed. I was thankful to be apart of this game project!

No comments:

Post a Comment