Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Week 9: Substance Designer

This was a fun week! We learned how to bake all of our maps in Substance Designer rather than in Maya or another program.





While working on the helmet, I didn't think the helmet was scratched or beat up enough. It looked too perfect. While flipping through the options, I found a weathering option that adds rust to the helmet and was able to get a nice gradient of rust effect on the helmet which weathered it better. Here are my results from that exploration. I wish it would have kept the yellow trim, but it looks good with just the straight black too.




Substance Designer manages to make everything just look better. This was a fun program to use! Lots to explore and playing with the nodes are really rewarding when you get them to work.

This week, we took a helmet model that was provided to us, and played with the nodes.

I spent my time figuring out the masks and adding different textures to each area of the mask that was created. I also figured out how to get the visor to be transparent. :)

I found a nice cell noise pattern that made the helmet look like camo, and accented that camo with a golden color. These both share a texture.

The visor I tinted the same reddish-brown as the edges of the helmet.

While working on this helmet though, there was only one thing I could think of:

(Specifically the red one.)


No comments:

Post a Comment