Sunday, September 11, 2016

Semester 4 Project 1 Update

I finished the high-res sculpt of the hippogryph hatchling, I referenced the updated hippogryph model that WoW has and tied some aspects to this baby version to update.

What I noticed about their improved art style is that the middle of the models tend to have tufts of fur or feathers, while the sides of the model stay pretty flat. It gives a great illusion that fur/feathers are coming off the model when it isn't. It makes the model fill out more and is quite smart. I used this technique on the rear of the hippogryph, lifting up three feathers.

I do plan on putting feathers around the hind ankles still, but I will save that for last.

My low-res model ended up being 4016 tris which is still higher than where I would like to be. Most of that geometry makes up the antlers, bird feet and making the model animation ready with circles around the joints and eyes.

My normal maps baked out fairly well. I will have to do some minor adjustments on them to make them perfect.

My next step for the last week is to texture and color the model and add the alphas in.



No comments:

Post a Comment