Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Drawing Fundamentals

I am not sure if I mentioned it before, but we do have a traditional drawing class every Friday - separate from our figure drawing class.

This weeks assignment was to use techniques from Feng Zhu to learn how to come up with and create small environment clips and ideas.

To begin, you start with a grid in Photoshop that separates about 10 or so spaces to draw in. Then you plop 30-40 images down in a sort of color vomit or collage chaos.

This helps your brain try to pick out different shapes and colors and pull something from the chaos. Not all the clips will be successful, I had 2 or 3 that weren't... but this is what I ended up with.


I enjoyed trying out the different color palettes and trying to make them fit. The first one I did was the bridge in the upper-left corner, then I trickled to the upper-right. I then moved to the bottom panels and filled in the middle last.

The two-three panels I felt didn't work for me is the top-right (huts around a lake?), the bottom lower-right (desert) and the one above that (man vs temple).

I did have a few favorite too, the second row, bottom-left, and the pink temple were some I really liked.

From here, we had to pick one of the panels we liked and flush it out more. I choose the pink temple because it had a nice color scheme. Here is my final result.


No comments:

Post a Comment